BMI consists of many drilling and engineering experts. With our combined knowledge, we uphold an honest and specialized service catering to the mining industry in South Africa.
The BMI Group
The BMI Group has been operating in blast hole drilling and compressed air since 2008.
Our success is attributed to our appointment of the best employees whose qualifications include outstanding excellence coupled with long practical experience in their fields of expertise across the broader spectrum of drilling and mechanical engineering.
We have successfully completed a vast array of contracts, inclusive of Solar projects, across Southern Africa. We have been involved in new technology with various drilling and compressed air companies over the years. During this time we have engineered Drill Rig Components to either better them and/or make them more cost effective in our drive to extend our service portfolio in drilling, engineering, maintenance, compressed air and rebuilds, to support our vision as the leading drilling company of choice throughout Southern Africa.
To consistently fulfill our vision, we continue to develop and offer further above-standard holistic engineering and drilling solutions for our clients. We are pleased to provide you with increasingly better services.
Through successful partnerships and sustainable projects to create wealth and experience for all our stakeholders, including a skills transfer to our employees and to be uncompromising in safety standards and ethics.
To become the leading drilling company of choice throughout Southern Africa.
BMI Drilling is committed to working alongside your management team and staff in a team environment, and we will continually strive to exceed your expectations.
OUR KEY OBJECTIVES ARE:
- Provide professional drilling services
- Exceed targets
- Quality assurance
From the initial contract agreement, to the first day the contract commences, right through until the end of the contract, we will consult with you to develop a tailored project schedule which meets all your unique requirements. We understand that no two companies are the same. Communication plays an integral role in our ability to provide our services.
BMI Drilling has the capacity to drill holes ranging from 63mm to 300mm (depending on depths, ground conditions etc). Currently we have the following drilling equipment in our fleet:
- ATLAS COPCO D60’S (Down the hole hammer)
- ATLAS COPCO D65’S (Down the hole hammer)
- ATLAS COPCO T35’S (Top hammer)
- ATLAS COPCO D50 (Down the hole hammer)
- ATLAS COPCO CL (Down the hole hammer)
PREVIOUS DRILLING PROJECTS
- LETSENG DIAMOND MINES IN LESOTHO
Drilling of approximately 50,000 meters of 165mm
- THARISA MINERALS IN RUSTENBURG
Drilling of approximately 30,000 meters of between 102mm and 140mm
- AUCAMPSRUS IRON ORE IN POSTMASBURG
Drilling of approximately 8,000 meters of 165mm
- KIMBERLEY QUARRY
Drilling of approximately 2,500 meters of between 102mm to 127mm
- NORTHERN FISSURES (PTY LTD) IN LESOTHO
Drilling of approximately 2,500 meters of 89mm
CURRENT DRILLING PROJECTS
- SEDIBENG IRON ORE MINE IN POSTMASBURG
Drilling of approximately 15,000 meters of 165mm
BMI Drilling considers its employees to be its most valuable resource and undertakes to safeguard, as far as practicable, all employees and the public at large, from injury, damage and environmental impact arising from any of the operations associated with its business on its construction sites. BMI Drilling has a further obligation to protect its physical assets against damage, wastage and or loss.
IN ACCORDANCE WITH THIS POLICY, BMI DRILLING UNDERTAKES:
- To consider all statutory safety, health and environmental legislation as being minimum standard of precautionary practice.
- To ensure that risk is reduced to a minimum by implementation of safety, health and environment programmes designed to protect employees and company property.
- To ensure that safety, health and environment take precedence over expediency.
All employees are directly involved in the achievement of these objectives. They will be advised and assisted by those managers and supervisors who have legal responsibility for ensuring that all problems relating to safety, health and environment are given the required attention and brought to notice of management.
EMPLOYEE OBLIGATIONS TO ENSURE THE ACHIEVEMENT OF THESE OBJECTIVES INCLUDE:
- Compliance with all safety, health and environment measures which the employer may set out.
- Taking all reasonable care for their own safety and health, the safety and health of others and the prevention of loss or damage to company property.
- Ensuring that protective clothing and safety equipment is used as stipulated to provide protection and to guard against injury to personnel or damage to property.
- Reporting all unsafe acts or condition to their work supervisor, or health and safety official.
The co-operation of the staff at all levels as a committed team, in carrying out this policy will ensure the safest possible working conditions, thus minimising injuries and losses.
”From being introduced to mining as an accountant in 2005, drilling fascinated me and once meeting Derek Jacobs in 2008, it was clear to me that with his knowledge and experience in compressed air, together we could build a great foundation for an eminent blast hole drilling and compressed air company. We have grown from humble beginnings to one of the largest privately-owned drilling companies in Southern Africa.” – David Ireland (Managing Director)
We have successfully completed projects in throughout South Africa and surrounding areas including Lesotho which is our flagship location. We offer a comprehensive range of services and products to suit all blast hole mining needs.
We are proud to be part of the first PV Solar projects in South Africa and we hope to participate further in these projects.